Hymenopus coronatus – Oliver 1792 (orchid mantis)
Synonym: H. bicornis- Stoll
Temperature: Day: 77-85F Night: no less than 68F (anything over 80F needs high ventilation)
Humidity: 50-80% spray every 2-3 days. Let enclosure dry before spraying to avoid bacterial infection
Incubation: 4-6 weeks at 85F w/ 70-90% humidity or spray everyday
Hatch Rate: ~40-100+
Distribution: Southeast Asia, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Thailand, China, Hawaii
- Male: L6 ~1″
- Female: L8 ~2.3″
- Male: smaller than female. Brown line at the pronotrum. No horn.
- Female: bigger than male. Green line at the pronotrum up to sub/L7. “V” groove one the underside of one of the last abdominal segments. Has horn.
- Female = horn and green band at “waist” (brown line at adult)
- Male= no horn and brown band at “waist”. Much smaller than female.
L1 prey: Mel. or Hydei fruit flies
- keep males cooler and feed less often to mate orchids from same ooth.
- Both male and female adults can fly.
- female needs 6-8 weeks (75-80F) after adult molt to mature for breeding. Male needs 2 weeks (75-80F) after adult molt to be ready for mating.
- Males drum on females back before/durning mating. He drums, she responds by lowering abdomen.